Looking for a few delicious recipes to add to your weekly routine? We listed down a week of healthy yet tasty vegan recipes from Simran and Aaina Nanwani of @thehealthynutr that you can try during this self-isolation period. Here's a list for an entire week of healthy and tasty recipes to boost your immune system!
Day 1: SMOKED TEMPEH BACON
There has been an ongoing love for bacon for decades, yet here's a more healthy, cruelty-free substitution of your favourite dish!
🌱100g tempeh, thinly sliced
🌱Olive oil to taste
🌱2 tbsp coconut aminos / soy sauce
🌱1 tbsp maple syrup
🌱1/2 tsp garlic paste
🌱1/2 tsp smoked paprika
🌱Black pepper, to taste
🌱1/2 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Whisk soy sauce, olive oil, maple syrup, liquid smoke, garlic paste, paprika & black pepper in a medium bowl. Feel free to play around with the spices. Adjust to taste.
3. Coat tempeh generously with the marinade. Place gently on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
4. Bake until crispy, about 20 mins.
5. Flip halfway through!
DAY 2: Japanese-Style Soufflé pancakes
These fluffy, extra-thick Japanese soufflé pancakes are soft and spongy, though this particular recipe does not boost your immune system unlike the others, it definitely a true indulgence and will surely boost up your happiness level! The Health Nutter will show you how to make guilt-free soufflé pancakes as a healthier choice for your sweet tooth!
🌱40g normal flour
🌱40g whatever healthy flour you have at home
🌱1 tbsp coconut sugar
🌱1 tsp baking powder
🌱1/4 tsp baking soda
🌱Pinch of salt
🌱80ml any milk you have at home
🌱1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
🌱2 tsp oil
🌱1 tsp vanilla
1. Sift the dry ingredients together. Create a well in the middle and gently mix the wet ingredients together. Stir gently only until lightly mixed.
2. Pre-heat a non-stick pan, and place two circular moulds or even make it out of foil. Add the batter to each mould, filling each mould 3/4 way. And cover for about 7 mins till the top is bubbly. Then flip to the other side and close for a few mins and you're good to go.
Serving suggestion: Berry Chia Jam, sliced fruit, liquid sweetener of choice!
DAY 3: VEGAN EGGS BENEDICT
A creative way to recreate the conventional Eggs Benedict using some wholesome local ingredients such as tofu patty, tempeh bacon (you may refer the recipe for tempeh bacon we mentioned earlier), hollandaise sauce on flourless buns.
🌱1/2 block tofu
🌱1 tbsp olive oil
🌱1 tbsp Nutritional yeast
🌱1/2 tsp Black Salt (this is key!)
🌱1/2 tsp garlic paste
🌱1/4 tsp turmeric
🌱1/8 tsp black pepper
DIRECTIONS FOR MAKING THE TOFU PATTY:
1. Slice the tofu to desired thickness and press using kitchen towels to remove excess water.
2. Massage to the tofu with olive oil and garlic paste.
3. Mix the dry ingredients on a separate plate. Coat the tofu with this dry mix. Leave to marinate for at least 15mins.
4. Drizzle a wee bit of oil on a non-stick pan on low - medium flame. Place the tofu on the heated pan. And flip! (Option: you can coat with a layer of flour before you pan fry it to richen the flavour).
🌱1/2 cup cashews, soaked
🌱1/2 cup water
🌱1/2 lemon, juiced
🌱1/2 tsp black salt
🌱1/2 tsp garlic powder
🌱1/3 tsp turmeric
🌱1 tsp Dijon Mustard
🌱2 tbsp nutritional yeast
🌱1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
🌱1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar (optional)
DIRECTIONS FOR HOLLANDAISE SAUCE:
Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend. Adjust seasonings to taste!
Serving Suggestion: Sliced roasted tomato, some greens sauteed spinach or simply lettuce, and top it off with chives.
DAY 4: ALMOND CRUSTED TOFU
Prepare to be blown away by these Almond Crusted Tofu Nuggets, the vegan version to chicken nuggets. These crunchy filling, packed-with-protein baked tofu chunks will definitely curb your appetite.
🌱1 block tofu cut in nugget size
🌱1 tbsp sesame oil
🌱1 tbsp olive oil
🌱2 tsp soy sauce
🌱1 clove garlic, minced
DIRECTIONS FOR MARINATING:
1. After cutting the tofu, press it with a kitchen towel to remove excess water.
2. Marinate it with the ingredients above for 30 mins - 1 hour in the fridge.
🌱2 tbsp non-dairy milk
🌱1-2 tbsp sriracha sauce
🌱2 tbsp almond flour
🌱A handful of crushed almonds
🌱1 tbsp nutritional yeast
🌱1/2 tsp salt
🌱1/2 tsp paprika
🌱1/4 tsp black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Make a paste out of the almond milk and Sriracha sauce.
3. Mix the dry ingredients together on a separate plate.
4. Coat the marinated tofu with Sriracha mix and coat it with the dry mix. Place it on a baking tray. Do this for the rest.
5. Bake the tofu for 20-30 mins until golden brown. Flipping it halfway through to get an even crust.
DAY 5: VEGAN SCRAMBLED EGGS
Got a wee bit too hungry waiting for lunch? You can whip up a healthy delicious meal under 10 minutes.
🌱1/2 block tofu
🌱1/4 onion, diced
🌱Black Salt - gives it the "eggy" feel
🌱Nutritional Yeast - gives it that cheesy flavour
🌱Smoked Paprika (my new fav that I add to absolutely everything!)
1. Cut the tofu and press with a napkin to remove excess moisture. (This is essential! Otherwise, you'll have a watery scramble).
2.Sauté onions until translucent and fragrant
3. Crumble the tofu and add to the pan. Season with turmeric, black salt, smoked paprika and nutritional yeast. (You could literally season this with anything you have lying around in your pantry!)
Garnish with coriander, Sriracha sauce, salad leaves and omega wraps from The Nutter Pantry.
You may also combine this dish with a healthier version of fried rice by substituting rice with broccoli or cauliflower too!.
DAY 6: COCONUT WATER JELLO BOMBS
We might need a little bit of indulgent during the weekend, don't we all?. Keep your hydration in check and sweet tooth satisfied with these Coconut Eater Jello Bombs.
🌱a good portion of agar powder
1. Boil half of the coconut water together with the agar and keep stirring.
2. Once boiled, turn off the flame.
3. Stir in the remaining coconut water & top it off with your fav fruits. Here we used raspberries, blueberries, oranges and lemons!
This will be a perfect dessert with no added sugar for a healthy week challenge!
DAY 7: DELICIOUS TURMERIC LATTE
Craving something sweet for your easy Sunday? Ditch the tub of ice-cream or popcorn binge for a cuppa warm turmeric beverage, shall we?
Bringing back old Indian & Ayurvedic drink called Turmeric Milk, which has now been westernized into a Turmeric Latte.
There are a lot of benefits from turmeric latte. Just to mention a few, this beverage is a natural pain reliever, is anti-inflammatory, aids in digestion and liver support, boosts the immune system, and most important of all: improves mood & potentially lowers anxiety!
🌱milk of choice (we used The Nutter Pantry Almond Mylk)
The original turmeric latte is super simple and tasty as it is. But The Healthy Nutter and Simran spiced up the recipe a little to create a healing anti-inflammatory post-dinner concoction to boost digestion, detoxification, relaxation and sleep.